[NatureNS] Red Knots and Horseshoe crabs - February 10, 2008 TV PBS 9 pm

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 12:09:13 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C86BDD.C05DB410

Crash: A Tale of Two Species

With its armored shell, ancient anatomy, and 350-million-year lineage, =
the horseshoe crab almost seems too inconspicuous to stir up =
controversy. Yet this humble creature is at the very center of a =
collision between three completely different species.

For many decades, humans have harvested the horseshoe crab for use as =
fishing bait. Since the 1970s, we have also used horseshoe crab blood =
for medical purposes. But we may have gone too far. Horseshoe crab =
numbers have declined significantly since the early 1990's. And, =
naturally, so did their egg numbers.

This is especially important to a small shorebird that is a global =
traveler of the most impressive kind. The red knot makes one of the =
longest migrations of any animal -- a journey that takes it from one end =
of the earth to the other. To accomplish this feat, it relies on the =
eggs of the horseshoe crab. Without these eggs, the red knot is in =
danger.

In the film "Crash: A Tale of Two Species," filmmaker Alison Argo tells =
the story of nature's amazing ability to create fragile connections =
among the most unexpected creatures, and of our potential as humans to =
destroy those connections -- or restore them.=20

"Crash: A Tale of Two Species" premieres Sunday, February 10th at 8 p.m. =
ET on PBS (check local listings).=20

WGBH/Channel 2
Nature: Crash: A Tale of Two Species
Sunday, February 10, 8:00pm
The horseshoe crab and the red-knot shorebird.
------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C86BDD.C05DB410

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Crash: A Tale of Two Species</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>With its armored shell, ancient anatomy, and=20
350-million-year lineage, the horseshoe crab almost seems too =
inconspicuous to=20
stir up controversy. Yet this humble creature is at the very center of a =

collision between three completely different species.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>For many decades, humans have harvested the =
horseshoe crab=20
for use as fishing bait. Since the 1970s, we have also used horseshoe =
crab blood=20
for medical purposes. But we may have gone too far. Horseshoe crab =
numbers have=20
declined significantly since the early 1990's. And, naturally, so did =
their egg=20
numbers.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>This is especially important to a small =
shorebird that is=20
a global traveler of the most impressive kind. The red knot makes one of =
the=20
longest migrations of any animal -- a journey that takes it from one end =
of the=20
earth to the other. To accomplish this feat, it relies on the eggs of =
the=20
horseshoe crab. Without these eggs, the red knot is in =
danger.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>In the film "Crash: A Tale of Two Species," =
filmmaker=20
Alison Argo tells the story of nature's amazing ability to create =
fragile=20
connections among the most unexpected creatures, and of our potential as =
humans=20
to destroy those connections -- or restore them. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>"Crash: A Tale of Two Species" premieres Sunday, =
February=20
10th at 8 p.m. ET on PBS (check local listings). </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>WGBH/Channel 2<BR>Nature: Crash: A Tale of Two=20
Species<BR>Sunday, February 10, 8:00pm<BR>The horseshoe crab and the =
red-knot=20
shorebird.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C86BDD.C05DB410--