[NatureNS] House Finches in Halifax

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 17:07:35 -0500 (EST)
From: Suzanne Borkowski <suzanneborkowski@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: Rare Bird Sightings NS-RBA <ns-rba@yahoogroups.com>

Hi;

I finally got to see House Finches, thanks to Pat
Chalmers explicit instructions!

My husband and I had just finished checking all the
feeders mentioned in her message, and were turning the
corner from Cambridge to Geldert to get a different
view of the last feeder, when I heard a flock of birds
fly overhead.  There were 6 or 7 of them, sounding
very much like Purple Finches. In fact, part of their
song reminded me of Bobolinks.

Thinking this was it - this was the sign - we chased
them from Geldert to Cambridge, to Waegwoltic to
Oxford and back to Waegwoltic.  Finally one landed in
the top of a tree right in front of house #6526
Waegwoltic Ave.  We got great looks at the orangey-red
throat and upper breast of a male House Finch and
clearly heard the raspy note referred to by Pat in her
message.

Thanks, so much, Pat!

Cheers;
Suzanne