[NatureNS] License To Bird

Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 23:09:18 -0500
From: Ian Woodman <calicoangus@primus.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--B_3285184158_14596130

No no. It was real.

I was passing through Maine in 1993 but I only had $10 and had to keep my
eyes closed all the way along the I-95 from Portland until I got into New
Brunswick. Surprisingly (or not) that was an interesting drive.

It was very good training for driving in Toronto.

Ian ;-)

On 2/6/08 9:56 PM, "Bob McDonald" <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> Sounds like a joke to me - are you sure it wasn't the April 1st edition?
>
> Bob

--B_3285184158_14596130

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [NatureNS] License To Bird</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'>No no. It was real. <BR=

<BR>
I was passing through Maine in 1993 but I only had $10 and had to keep my e=
yes closed all the way along the I-95 from Portland until I got into New Bru=
nswick. Surprisingly (or not) that was an interesting drive.<BR>
<BR>
It was very good training for driving in Toronto.<BR>
<BR>
Ian ;-)<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
On 2/6/08 9:56 PM, &quot;Bob McDonald&quot; &lt;bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca&g=
t; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"=
>Hi James,<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Sounds like a joke to me - are you sure it wasn't=
 the April 1st edition?<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Bob<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
</FONT></SPAN><BLOCKQUOTE><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><FONT FACE=3D"Verdan=
a"> <BR>
----- Original Message ----- <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<B>From:</B> &nbsp;James &nbsp;Hirtle <a href=3D"mailto:jrhbirder@hotmail.com=
">&lt;mailto:jrhbirder@hotmail.com&gt;</a> &nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<B>To:</B> Naturens Naturens <a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">&lt;m=
ailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca&gt;</a> &nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, February 06, 2008 7:37 &nbsp;PM<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<B>Subject:</B> [NatureNS] License To Bird<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
I'm reading the July/August 1993 issue of Bird Watchers Digest &nbsp;and ca=
me across something which strikes me as odd. &nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&quot;A &nbsp;recent article in a Maine newspaper detailed the state's new =
bird watching &nbsp;laws. &nbsp;According to the report, the Maine legislatu=
re has imposed a fee &nbsp;for bird watching in the state. &nbsp;The annual =
license will cost $15.00, &nbsp;plus $2 for the issuing town clerk. &nbsp;Pe=
ople watching migratory waterfowl &nbsp;will need to acquire a special wildf=
owl stamp at a cost of $15. &nbsp;The &nbsp;regulations set limits on the nu=
mber of birds that can be seen on one day or &nbsp;in one year. &nbsp;There =
is also a limit on state and life lists, but &nbsp;unlimited observation of =
herring gulls, chickadees, starlings, and blue jays &nbsp;is permitted. &nbs=
p;There are very tight restrictions on the observation of &nbsp;rare birds: =
&nbsp;Only one northern cardinal may be observed per day, and &nbsp;observer=
s must close their eyes in the presence of any endangered species such &nbsp=
;as bald eagle or peregrine falcon.&quot; &nbsp;It goes on. &nbsp;Anyhow, fr=
om this &nbsp;I'm assuming this was a joke and in fact no license to watch b=
irds ever &nbsp;existed in Maine. &nbsp;They have in the magazine amongst a =
bunch of &nbsp;straight/real articles.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Dublin Shore<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"3" WIDTH=3D"100%"> &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"3" WIDTH=3D"100%"> <BR>
<BR>
No virus found in this incoming message.<BR>
Checked by AVG Free &nbsp;Edition. <BR>
/2008 9:13 AM<BR>
</FONT></SPAN></BLOCKQUOTE><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><FONT FACE=3D"Verda=
na"><BR>
</FONT></SPAN></BLOCKQUOTE><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><FONT FACE=3D"Verda=
na"><BR>
</FONT></SPAN>
</BODY>
</HTML>