[NatureNS] License To Bird

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 23:37:11 +0000

--_b410f686-2d7d-4f40-85d4-7937557fd6ab_

I'm reading the July/August 1993 issue of Bird Watchers Digest and came acr=
oss something which strikes me as odd. =20
=20
"A recent article in a Maine newspaper detailed the state's new bird watchi=
ng laws.  According to the report, the Maine legislature has imposed a fee =
for bird watching in the state.  The annual license will cost $15.00, plus =
$2 for the issuing town clerk.  People watching migratory waterfowl will ne=
ed to acquire a special wildfowl stamp at a cost of $15.  The regulations s=
et limits on the number of birds that can be seen on one day or in one year=
.  There is also a limit on state and life lists, but unlimited observation=
 of herring gulls, chickadees, starlings, and blue jays is permitted.  Ther=
e are very tight restrictions on the observation of rare birds:  Only one n=
orthern cardinal may be observed per day, and observers must close their ey=
es in the presence of any endangered species such as bald eagle or peregrin=
e falcon."  It goes on.  Anyhow, from this I'm assuming this was a joke and=
 in fact no license to watch birds ever existed in Maine.  They have in the=
 magazine amongst a bunch of straight/real articles.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

--_b410f686-2d7d-4f40-85d4-7937557fd6ab_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
I'm reading the July/August 1993 issue of Bird Watchers Digest and came acr=
oss something which strikes me as odd.&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
"A recent article in a Maine newspaper detailed the state's new bird watchi=
ng laws.&nbsp; According to the report, the Maine legislature has imposed a=
 fee for bird watching in the state.&nbsp; The annual license will cost $15=
.00, plus $2 for the issuing town clerk.&nbsp; People watching migratory wa=
terfowl will need to acquire a special wildfowl stamp at a cost of $15.&nbs=
p; The regulations set limits on the number of birds that can be seen on on=
e day or in one year.&nbsp; There is also a limit on state and life lists, =
but unlimited observation of herring gulls, chickadees, starlings, and blue=
 jays is permitted.&nbsp; There are very tight restrictions on the observat=
ion of rare birds:&nbsp; Only one northern cardinal may be observed per day=
, and observers must close their eyes in the presence of any endangered spe=
cies such as bald eagle or peregrine falcon."&nbsp; It goes on.&nbsp; Anyho=
w, from this I'm assuming this was a joke and in fact no license to watch b=
irds ever existed in Maine.&nbsp; They have in&nbsp;the magazine&nbsp;among=
st a bunch of straight/real articles.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>

--_b410f686-2d7d-4f40-85d4-7937557fd6ab_--