[NatureNS] scat or pellet

Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 17:42:37 -0400
From: "Randy Lauff" <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_10633_12421019.1202161357853

I don't think I've ever heard of an owl scavenging, I can ask around of my
owly colleagues. Certainly owls can be trained to scavenge (in captive
settings, they're almost always fed on dead stuff), but it's not, as far as
I know, in their typical repertoire.

I don't know a whole lot about cats (anatomically, I do, but not much else),
but what I do know is that their teeth are not well adapted for crushing a
bone...I've heard that because of this, they tend to eat around the bones,
but generally do not eat the bones themselves; this is in direct contrast
with dogs which do have molars adapted for crushing. Cat teeth are only
adapted for nipping, piercing, holding and slicing. Could you cut a bone
with a pair of scissors? Sure, but not effectively.

Randy

--
Randy