[NatureNS] Bedford Basin Swans

Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 17:30:41 -0400
From: Eric Mills <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Peter, as I remember, the Bedford Basin swans were escapes from somewhere fairly near at hand. Ian will remember
the details, but I don't. Being long-lived, they could be around for quite a while, and if they do leave some offspring, we
could in a few years have an established population. But in New England they seem to have done best in coastal areas
like the brackish ponds of southern Cape Cod, Rhode Island, Connecticut and south, where winters are mild and the
ponds don't freeze. Here in the Marimtides they may need thermal undies.

Eric