[NatureNS] Bedford Basin Swans

Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 12:59:31 -0500
From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: naturens@chebucto.ca

--Apple-Mail-1-329672697
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Hello,

The Mute Swan is not only wild in eastern North America, but it is an
invasive nuisance in some places.  I know of parts of New England
where this swan has destroyed the aquatic vegetation: its long neck
enables it to feed deeply, and it can destroy almost everything
within a meter of the surface, which is most of the bottom in shallow
ponds.  In one case the local game warden organized egg-smashing
expeditions to discourage the proliferation of this pest.  The swans
disappeared after the local pond ecology had been totally destroyed.

Mute Swans are beautiful, but they should probably be restricted to
special places, such as decorative pools at hotels and shopping
centers.  Otherwise, they should be classed with feral cats and other
introduced disasters.

Paul

On 2 Feb 2008, at 8:08 AM, Peter Payzant wrote:

> Hi, all-
>
> A friend new to the area remarked on seeing a Mute Swan in Bedford
> Basin. There has been at least one swan in the Basin for years, and
> I have a feeling that there may have been up to three at one time.
>
> I was wondering about the history of this. When were they first
> seen? Are any of them pinioned? Were any offspring ever produced,
> to anyone's knowledge? How many are there now - just the one? Are
> they there in the summer? Do they travel to other areas? Are there
> wild (or escaped) mute swans in other parts of eastern North America?
>
> Thanks for shedding any light on this.
>
> Peter Payzant

--Apple-Mail-1-329672697

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">
Swan is not only wild in eastern North America, but it is an invasive =
nuisance in some places. =A0I know of parts of New England where this =
swan has destroyed the aquatic vegetation: its long neck enables it to =
feed deeply, and it can destroy almost everything within a meter of the =
surface, which is most of the bottom in shallow ponds. =A0In one case =
the local game warden organized egg-smashing expeditions to discourage =
the proliferation of this pest. =A0The swans disappeared after the local =
pond ecology had been totally destroyed.</div><div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>Mute Swans are beautiful, =
but they should probably be restricted to special places, such as =
decorative pools at hotels and shopping centers. =A0Otherwise, they =
should be classed with feral cats and other introduced =
disasters.</div><div><br =
>On 2 Feb 2008, at 8:08 AM, Peter Payzant wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite">  <font =
area remarked on seeing a Mute Swan in Bedford Basin. There has been at =
least one swan in the Basin for years, and I have a feeling that there =
may have been up to three at one time.<br> <br> I was wondering about =
the history of this. When were they first seen? Are any of them =
pinioned? Were any offspring ever produced, to anyone's knowledge? How =
many are there now - just the one? Are they there in the summer? Do they =
travel to other areas? Are there wild (or escaped) mute swans in other =
parts of eastern North America?<br> <br> Thanks for shedding any light =

--Apple-Mail-1-329672697--