[NatureNS] Sunflower seeds

From: Christopher Majka <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:40:57 -0400

--Apple-Mail-57-78274889

Hi Ian,

I'll warp the strand of this thread in yet one more direction. Earlier
this season when buying sunflower seeds from a local retailer I
noticed clouds of Indian Meal Moths (Plodia interpunctella (Hubner))
in the aisle where the bags of sunflower seeds were stored. This is
one of the most troublesome of grain-infesting moths. I've had a
couple of infestations of these in my house the past couple of years,
one of which was in my dry-goods cupboard where they got into
virtually every dried-stored product that was accessible (including a
number of bags and jars that I had thought were well-sealed) resulting
in my having to discard almost half the products that were there. A
second infestation was in the bird-seed bags in the basement, forcing
me to rapid remedial action.

I noticed at the retailer that the moths were ranging far and wide to
other seeds and pet-food products. Consumers need to be attentive to
the potential presence of these moths since, once introduced into a
house, they can spread to many products and cause considerable damage.
Below are some URLs of websites that have more information on this
species

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/insect/05598.html
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2089.html
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/iiin/mindianm.html

Cheers!

Chris

On Feb 24, 2008, at 12:15 PM, iamclar@dal.ca wrote:

> All:
>
> I hesitate to add to this discussion given the lack of any
> controlled experiment
> on the issue, but I did note last year that my black sunflower seeds
> that had
> been kept over from a previous year, and possibly two, were not much
> used by
> visitng birds until I replaced then with fresh stock.  I don't know
> why they
> were rejected - no evident mould, e.g. - but maybe they had lost
> volatile
> lipids or become a little rancid.
>
> I wonder if suppliers/dealers sometimes market old stock. I don't
> like the wide
> over-application of pesticdes, but everything I have read suggests
> that
> Roubndup and the like are unlikely to be detected by or hazardous to
> seed-eating birds.
>
> Cheers, Ian McLaren

Christopher Majka - Atlantic Canada Coleoptera
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/NHR/atlantic_coleoptera.html
c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca

--Apple-Mail-57-78274889

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Hi Ian,<div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>I'll warp the strand of =
this thread in yet one more direction. Earlier this season when buying =
sunflower seeds from a local retailer I noticed clouds of Indian Meal =
Moths (Plodia interpunctella&nbsp;(Hubner)) in the aisle where the bags =
of sunflower seeds were stored. This is one of&nbsp;the most troublesome =
of grain-infesting moths. I've had a couple of infestations of these in =
my house the past couple of years, one of which was in my dry-goods =
cupboard where they got into virtually every dried-stored product that =
was accessible (including a number of bags and jars that I had thought =
were well-sealed) resulting in my having to discard almost half the =
products that were there. A second infestation was in the bird-seed bags =
in the basement, forcing me to rapid remedial action.</div><div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>I noticed at the retailer =
that the moths were ranging far and wide to other seeds and pet-food =
products. Consumers need to be attentive to the potential presence of =
these moths since, once introduced into a house, they can spread to many =
products and cause considerable damage. Below are some URLs of websites =
that have more information on this species</div><div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div><a =
href=3D"http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/insect/05598.html">http://www.ex=
href=3D"http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2089.html">http://ohioline.o=
href=3D"http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/iiin/mindianm.html">http://www.ipm.=
v>On Feb 24, 2008, at 12:15 PM, <a =
href=3D"mailto:iamclar@dal.ca">iamclar@dal.ca</a> wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">All:<br><br>I hesitate to add to this discussion given the =
lack of any controlled experiment<br>on the issue, but I did note last =
year that my black sunflower seeds that had<br>been kept over from a =
previous year, and possibly two, were not much used by<br>visitng birds =
until I replaced then with fresh stock. &nbsp;I don't know why =
they<br>were rejected - no evident mould, e.g. - but maybe they had lost =
suppliers/dealers sometimes market old stock. I don't like the =
wide<br>over-application of pesticdes, but everything I have read =
suggests that<br>Roubndup and the like are unlikely to be detected by or =
color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: 14px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: =
auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0; "><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; "><div>Christopher Majka - Atlantic Canada =
Coleoptera</div><div><a =
href=3D"http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/NHR/atlantic_coleoptera.html=
">http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/NHR/atlantic_coleoptera.html</a></=
div><div><a =