[NatureNS] Sunflower seeds

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 11:43:26 -0400
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

  &amp;amp; Lelia Dean&lt;BR&gt;&amp;gt; 86 Baden Powell Drive&lt;BR&gt;

Eleanor Lindsay wrote:

> I don't doubt for a moment that the quality of sunflower seeds has
> diminished as the demand escalates.
> My problem over the past few months (virtual cessation of black oil
> sunflower seed consumption, never before encountered in over 25 years
> of bird feeding) continues without change, leaving me concerned. When
> I put out mixed seeds the birds pick them through, leaving all the
> sunflower seeds. Checking with neighbours in the area yields mixed
> reports, with some feeling there has been a reduction and others not
> noticing any change. I've checked around  some of the main  sunflower
> seed suppliers in the area and most get them from Armstrong, a
> Hagersville Ontario distributor which, I am told, likely gets the bulk
> of its seeds from out west. I've bought these seeds from three
> different places (just in case storage is a source of the problem),
> and I've emptied and washed out my feeders, all with no appreciable
> difference. I can't think of anything else to try.

Hi Elanor,                Feb 24, 2008
    Have you checked to see what proportion of these seeds are empty
shells or shells with shrunken/darkened immature seeds ? As noted in my
first e-mail on this subject some garden sunflower seed that I bought
last year were nearly all empty shells. I don't think any of the 15 or
so fatter seeds that I planted came up.
yt, DW