[NatureNS] Sunflower seeds

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 09:06:48 -0400
From: Eleanor Lindsay <az678@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hawks
Andy Dean wrote:
> I received a phone call this evening but unfortunately failed to get
> the name of the caller.
> He has no access to send messages to  NatureNS so asked me to pass a
> message to the group, and Elinor Lindsay in particular,  regarding
> sunflower seeds.
> He quoted a book by Scott Weidensaul titled 'Living On The Wind'
> ...specifically chapter 8....which apparently relates an experience ,
> I believe it was in Argentina . where  Swainsons Hawks died in large
> numbers when they ate grasshoppers contaminated with either pesticide
> or herbicide .[ sorry to be so vague but it was a brief call ]
>  He suggested that sunflower seed  has evolved from simply being
> produced to help birds survive the winters into a major business crop,
> and this has resulted in lower safety standards, at least in some of
> the countries producing huge commercial crops, and he strongly urged
> that we read the item.
> I checked the Valley Regional Library catalogue but drew a blank on
> that title.
> Andy
>
> Andy & Lelia Dean
> 86 Baden Powell Drive
> Kentville, NS. Canada. B4N 5P5
> Tel: [902] 678-6243
>
> aadean@ns.sympatico.ca <mailto:aadean@ns.sympatico.ca>
My thanks to Andy for passing this message on and to Lukas for offering
information from his copy of 'Living on the Wind';  I don't doubt for a
moment that the quality of sunflower seeds has diminished as the demand
escalates.
My problem over the past few months (virtual cessation of black oil
sunflower seed consumption, never before encountered in over 25 years of
bird feeding) continues without change, leaving me concerned. When I put
out mixed seeds the birds pick them through, leaving all the sunflower
seeds. Checking with neighbours in the area yields mixed reports, with
some feeling there has been a reduction and others not noticing any
change. I've checked around  some of the main  sunflower seed suppliers
in the area and most get them from Armstrong, a Hagersville Ontario
distributor which, I am told, likely gets the bulk of its seeds from out
west. I've bought these seeds from three different places (just in case
storage is a source of the problem), and I've emptied and washed out my
feeders, all with no appreciable difference. I can't think of anything
else to try.
Lucas, if any of this relates to Chapter 8 that Andy's caller
specifically recommended I'd very much appreciate hearing about it!

Eleanor Lindsay
Seabright, St Margarets Bay