[NatureNS] eclipse! 10:00

From: Patrick Kelly <patrick.kelly@dal.ca>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 18:52:39 -0600
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-6--65023368
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Hello all:

I suspect that is the case. Keep in mind that, as Sherman noted,  one
can look at the Sun and damage your eyes on any sunny day. Of course,
most days there is no particular reason to look at the sky and even if
you did, the brightness would tend to make this a self-correcting
problem!

Pat

On Feb 22, 2008, at 2:45 PM, David & Alison Webster wrote:

> Hi Sherman & All,
>    Is this perhaps because the iris adjusts somewhat to average light
> intensity and is consequently dangerously open with respect the bright
> arc of the nearly covered sun ?
> Yt, DW
>
> Sherman Williams wrote:
>

>> THE BIG DANGER is just before and just after totality, when the Sun
>> not fully covered by the Moon.   In those moments sunlight coming
>> from the uncovered edges appears to be dim enough that it would not
>> seem to be harmful, however, in a few moments of direct gazing at any
>> uncovered portion of sun can deliver enough INFARED TO DO DAMAGE to
>> the retina.  The MOST DANGEROUS TIME to gaze at the Sun  would be any
>> normal sunny day, especially at noon when we are receiving its most
>> potent rays (radiation).
>>

>> Sherman
>>

>> Sherman Williams
>>
>> shermw@xcountry.tv <mailto:shermw@xcountry.tv>

==
Patrick Kelly
Director of Computer Facilities
==
Faculty of Architecture and Planning
Dalhousie University
==
PO Box 1000 Stn Central                5410 Spring Garden Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4           Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4
Canada                                 Canada
==
Phone:(902) 494-3294    FAX:(902) 423-6672   E-mail:patrick.kelly@dal.ca
==

--Apple-Mail-6--65023368

Hello all:

I suspect that is the case. Keep in mind that, as Sherman noted,  one
can look at the Sun and damage your eyes on any sunny day. Of course,
most days there is no particular reason to look at the sky and even if
you did, the brightness would tend to make this a self-correcting
problem!

Pat

   Is this perhaps because the iris adjusts somewhat to average light
intensity and is consequently dangerously open with respect the bright
arc of the nearly covered sun ?

Yt, DW

Sherman Williams wrote:

<excerpt>

THE BIG DANGER is just before and just after totality, when the Sun
not fully covered by the Moon.   In those moments sunlight coming from
the uncovered edges appears to be dim enough that it would not seem to
be harmful, however, in a few moments of direct gazing at any
uncovered portion of sun can deliver enough INFARED TO DO DAMAGE to
the retina.  The MOST DANGEROUS TIME to gaze at the Sun  would be any
normal sunny day, especially at noon when we are receiving its most
potent rays (radiation).

Sherman

Sherman Williams

shermw@xcountry.tv <<mailto:shermw@xcountry.tv>

</excerpt>

Patrick Kelly

Director of Computer Facilities

Faculty of Architecture and Planning

Dalhousie University

PO Box 1000 Stn Central                5410 Spring Garden Road

Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4           Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4

Canada                                 Canada

Phone:(902) 494-3294    FAX:(902) 423-6672
E-mail:patrick.kelly@dal.ca

</fontfamily>

--Apple-Mail-6--65023368--