[NatureNS] report on first Eagle Watch day at Sheffield Mills

From: Patrick Kelly <patrick.kelly@dal.ca>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 15:00:50 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-3--185048734
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Hello everyone:

Here are five pictures that I took at the release of the rehabilitated
eagle Sunday morning. It took place at the field at the northernmost
end of Middle Dyke Road. There were lots of chicken carcasses there,
but the eagles were all sitting up in the trees, no doubt due to the
vehicles in the middle of the field that had the cage with the eagle.
http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/Eagle1.jpg

The cage was then carried off the truck and into the field
http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/Eagle2.jpg

There was a brief announcement explaining that the bird had been in
captivity since August. It  was from the local area, very emancipated
and had lost all but two tail feathers when it was recovered. The door
opened....
http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/Eagle3.jpg

After a brief pause (maybe the eagle was not finished reading the
newspaper that was in its cage?) it flew out and glided right over the
heads of many of the people crossing Middle Dyke Road. It tried to land
in a very bushy tree, only to end up crashing.
http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/Eagle4.jpg

The eagle was stuck like that for more than five minutes, without
panicking. It eventually sorted itself out, but flew even further into
the trees, banging off a few more branches. After most people had
finally left I was heading back to my car and spotted it again.
http://myweb.dal.ca/pmkelly/Eagle5.jpg

It seemed to be waiting for it to get a bit more quiet. Hopefully it
will make it out of the woods this time, even if it has to walk out!

Pat

PS: Jim already noted that the displays are different this year. The
usual "stuffed and mounted" birds are not there. I met John Belbin as I
came in and he told me that they were not available this year due to
the pending move of the Acadia biology department into their new
building.

On Jan 26, 2008, at 6:13 PM, Jim Wolford wrote:

> TOMORROW MORNING SOMETHING SPECIAL IS HAPPENING related to the Eagle
> Watch.
> Hope Swinimer of Hope For Wildlife rehabilitation facility at Seaforth
> is
> bringing a BALD EAGLE FOR RELEASE back into the wild.  She and the
> eagle are
> scheduled to be at the Community Hall at 9:30 a.m. and then drive to
> the
> north end of Middle Dyke Road for the release at 10 a.m.
>
> For anyone who is contemplating any eagle gawking tomorrow, be sure to
> be in
> the area by mid-morning at the latest.  Do some driving about to
> locate some
> eagles, including areas like the Gaspereau Valley, Avonport,
> Hortonville,
> and Grand Pre, plus Port Williams, Canning, Sheffield Mills,
> Kingsport, etc.
> Then go to the Hall for a late breakfast (to 2 p.m.), or coffee and
> muffin,
> plus displays, music, videos/DVD to view, etc.

==
Patrick Kelly
Director of Computer Facilities
==
Faculty of Architecture and Planning
Dalhousie University
==
PO Box 1000 Stn Central                5410 Spring Garden Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4           Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4
Canada                                 Canada
==
Phone:(902) 494-3294    FAX:(902) 423-6672   E-mail:patrick.kelly@dal.ca
==

--Apple-Mail-3--185048734