[NatureNS] redpolls' range

Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 12:27:13 -0500 (EST)
From: Gayle MacLean <duartess2003@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0-1593664111-1200850033=:73406

Hi Jane,

  The flock of Redpolls that I have been frequenting my backyard feeders since before Christmas here on Glenwood Ave, which borders onto the green-belt that separates ours from the backyards of Celtic, are here all the time. On my days off, I have noticed this flock does seem to vary in size sometimes, throughout the day, anywhere from a few to sometimes, at least 30 - 50, maybe more, depending on the time of day. Mind you, this is a very unscientific observation on my part.

  Best regards,

  Gayle MacLean

David&Jane Schlosberg <dschlosb-g@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
  I'm becoming curious about birds' range and movements. We had a flock of
redpolls that numbered over 100 at times, until a couple of weeks ago. Now
there are only about 25-30. Did the rest of them go down to Seabright? I
haven't heard anyone in Dartmouth reporting a sudden increase in their
flock. I'd figured that the Celtic ave. flock must be the same birds that we
were getting here on Tulip street, maybe a kilometer from Celtic; but a
serious birder told me that was likely a different flock!?? Anyone have the
time to chime in on this?
Thanks.
Jane