[NatureNS] when water freezes?

Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:23:52 -0400
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

  Hi Andy & All,            Jan 14, 2008
    Water is either liquid, solid, gas or adsorbed so this hardening of
the ground would be due either to drainage (not likely from you comments
about tracks having a lot of water), evaporation from the soil surface
or under greater soil moisture tension near the surface due to cooling.

    An evaporation effect is consistent with the temperature being
warmer when you went out than the overnight low but I don't recall
appreciable wind so that seems doubtful.

    I don't recall the magnitude of a second possible effect, but if the
soil was appreciably warmer, when it was mucky yesterday, than it was
this morning then the cooling would tend to 'firm up' the soil. Due to
changes in surface tension, I think, cold soil holds more water than
does warm soil, i.e. soil moisture tension increases as temperature
decreases making the soil appear more drained.

    When I have time to dig out a soil physics book I will be able to
estimate magnitudes and at least confirm that I don't have it backwards.
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville