[NatureNS] suet with flour - oops

Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:58:21 -0400
From: "Randy Lauff" <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_8472_20836176.1200239901509

On 12/01/2008, David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:

> Hi Randy & All,            Jan 12, 2008
>    While it is true that starch is a common storage carbohydrate,
> soluble sugars are the building blocks and are present especially when
> starches are being formed or used.

True, but the dominant soluble sugars would likely be the simple ones such
as glucose (the building block of starch) and fructose.

   With respect to sucrose, Bonner and Varner (Plant Biochemistry,
> 1965, 1054 p.) observe that "Sucrose... is by far the most commonly
> found disaccharide in nature, its distribution being universal among
> photosynthetic plants."

No question. But "most common" is a relative term - the Common Nighthawk is
the most common goatsucker in the province, but that doesn't mean it's
common.

   Hydrolysis of sucrose is spontaneous in the presence of weak acid

I didn't know that. I always assumed the enzyme sucrase did that job
exclusively. Does the process also work in the presence of strong acids, as
found in the stomachs (or stomach-equivalents) of animals?

so, although the process would take time, the formation of
> monosaccharides from sucrose would not consume metabolic energy.

Except of course for the creation and likely the secretion of the acid.

I dare
> say birds and ancestors, over evolutionary time, would have encountered
> sucrose and common salt on a more regular basis than they would have
> encountered suet.

It depends which birds of course. Carnivorous birds (including insectivores)
would have rarely encountered sucrose, unless it was in part of the
digestive system of the prey (mouth to small intestine), as part of the
prey's last meal. Suet, which is simply fat, would be encountered by many
species (albeit not encountered  by them in cages or logs). I assume that
there is some difference in the composition of fats in plants and animals
(biochemistry was never a strong point of mine), though metabolically, there
are a lot more similarities than differences.

Randy