[NatureNS] suet with flour - oops

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:06:05 -0400
From: George Forsyth <g4syth@staff.ednet.ns.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: George Forsyth <g4syth@staff.ednet.ns.ca>

&amp;quot;suet holder

--Boundary_(ID_IZb6ERGRISPQcGwU2TzfOA)

Be careful with the salt, sugar, and preservatives that are added to=20
many commercial peanut butters. The peanut butter that can sit at room=20=

temperature in your cupboard probably won't go rancid in the winter=20
outdoors.

George

On 10, Jan 2008, at 10:21 AM, Wild Flora wrote:

> [...]

> I spent a lot of money on commercially prepared suet over the years,=20=

> believing that this was the ideal way to feed winter birds. But=20
> eventually I realized that the custom of feeding suet arose more=20
> because suet used to be free than because suet is necessarily the=20
> ideal food. As a matter of fact, my readings suggest that almost any=20=

> high-fat food will work just as well.
> =A0
> Through a process of trial and error, what I=92ve found is that birds=20=

> actually seem to like peanut butter best. When you buy it in the giant=20=

> jars in the bulk foods section of the grocery store, peanut butter is=20=

> also quite inexpensive.
> =A0
> After discovering peanut butter, I went through several years in which=20=

> I tried combining it with other things, such as corn meal or dried=20
> fruit. Eventually I concluded that this is unnecessary and just adds=20=

> to mess around the feeders, because the birds scatter what they don=92t=20=

> like. So I just started putting out straight peanut butter.
> =A0
> Some people are afraid to give birds straight peanut butter because=20
> they've heard that the birds will choke. But I've investigated this=20
> and found no evidence that this is likely to happen. As far as I know,=20=

> most authorities now consider this to be an urban legend.
> =A0
> The only concern in offering birds peanut butter or any other high-fat=20=

> food is that these foods should not be left outside in warm weather.=20=

> Fats of all types go rancid in heat. Rendering fat makes it keep=20
> better but is a time-consuming and potentially dangerous process. I=20
> prefer to offer fatty foods only when temperatures are below freezing.
> =A0
> Peanut butter can be offered in almost any container, including a suet=20=

> feeder. You can even spread it on things, as peanut butter sticks to=20=

> almost anything. Do not spread peanut butter on a live tree or shrub,=20=

> however; squirrels will chew through the bark as they try to get at=20
> the last of the peanut butter.
> =A0
> In addition to offering peanut butter to the birds, I also continue to=20=

> offer the same foods I put out during the rest of the year. The =A0food=20=

> most preferred by most birds that visit suspended feeders (those that=20=

> are above the ground) is black oil sunflower seed. Ground-feeding=20
> birds tend to like millet and cracked corn; I often throw cheap bird=20=

> seed on the driveway for these birds, because cheap bird seed is=20
> mostly made up of millet. =A0This combination keeps a wide array of=20
> birds (chickadees, nuthatches, doves, juncos, various sparrows, and=20
> various finches, to name a few) very happy during the winter. The=20
> peanut butter may even attract woodpeckers and other birds that=20

George E. Forsyth						ph.  902 =
681 4910
c/o Evangeline Middle School			fax. 902 681 4909
9387 Commercial St.
New Minas, N.S.
B4N 3G3