[NatureNS] add cedar waxwings to evening grosbeak, 3 f. cardinals,

Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 11:35:16 -0400
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Add about 6 CEDAR WAXWINGS to our yard this morning, attracted to our large
supply of hips of multiflora rose.

For the uninitiated re cedar vs. Bohemian waxwing identification, I look
first for relative size and patches of white on the wings -- Bohemians are
relatively large, especially noticeable in a mixed flock, and Bohemians show
white conspicuously on their wings, vs. just a narrow line of white just
behind the wing in cedar waxwings.

Also their calls are quite different in quality and loudness, but my
deafness usually prevents me from using such clues.

Oour 2 "good sparrows" were back today, too.

Cheers again from Jim in Wolfville