[NatureNS] Two new birds for Yard List - Mallard Interaction

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 05:32:05 +0000

--_2fcbefdc-6a7a-4f07-8edf-1b1a7ba366a4_

Hi all:
=20
Well I got home at 01:00 on the night of the storm and shoveled for one hou=
r before going into the house.  This morning, now yesterday morning as it i=
s 01:25 I shoveled for two more hours.  On the bright side of this, I watch=
ed birds in the yard while shoveling and as a result saw two new arrivals. =
 The first was a brown creeper and the second a northern pintail.  The diff=
erence in temperature was very noticeable between Dublin Shore and Bridgewa=
ter.  I was shoveling snow with my shirt sleeves rolled up and was still wa=
rm even when not shoveling.  In comparison I could not have done this in Br=
idgewater.
=20
I watched with interest the other day when three female mallards ganged up =
on a male.  Role reversal.  Usually with mating or interaction it is the ot=
her way around with numbers of males ganging up on a single female, sometim=
es to the point of drowning her.  Well the three females together were not =
long putting the run to the male.  I also noted chest butting interactions =
between a male and a female when usally this occurs between two males or be=
tween females only.  In other interactions a single female would put the ru=
n to the male.  From what I've read the mallards in my yard do not seem to =
conform to normal interactions.  It would be interesting if I could tell in=
dividuals apart to determine if a social hierarchy exists.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore
Discover new ways to stay in touch with Windows Live! Visit the City @ Live=
 today!
http://getyourliveid.ca/?icid=3DLIVEIDENCA006=

--_2fcbefdc-6a7a-4f07-8edf-1b1a7ba366a4_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Well I got home at 01:00 on the night of the storm and shoveled for one hou=
r before going into the house.&nbsp; This morning, now yesterday morning as=
 it is 01:25 I shoveled for two more hours.&nbsp; On the bright side of thi=
s, I watched birds in the yard while shoveling and as a result saw two new =
arrivals.&nbsp; The first was a brown creeper and the second a northern pin=
tail.&nbsp; The difference in temperature was very noticeable between Dubli=
n Shore and Bridgewater.&nbsp; I was shoveling snow with my shirt sleeves r=
olled up and was still warm even when not shoveling.&nbsp; In comparison I =
could not have done this in Bridgewater.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
I watched with interest the other day when three female mallards ganged up =
on a male.&nbsp; Role reversal.&nbsp; Usually with mating or interaction it=
 is the other way around with numbers of males ganging up on a single femal=
e, sometimes to the point of drowning her.&nbsp; Well the three females tog=
ether were not long putting the run to the male.&nbsp; I also noted chest b=
utting interactions between a male and a female when usally this occurs bet=
ween two males or between females only.&nbsp; In other interactions a singl=
e female would put the run to the male.&nbsp; From what I've read the malla=
rds in my yard do not seem to conform to normal interactions.&nbsp; It woul=
d be interesting if I could tell individuals apart to determine if a social=
 hierarchy exists.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Dublin Shore<BR><br /><hr />Books, DVD's, gadgets, music and more. <a href=
=3D'http://shopping.sympatico.msn.ca/content/shp/?ctid=3D8338,ptnrid=3D176,=
ptnrdata=3D1761116&tcode=3DHolidayGuide' target=3D'_new'>Shop online with S=
ympatico / MSN Shopping today!</a></body>

--_2fcbefdc-6a7a-4f07-8edf-1b1a7ba366a4_--