[NatureNS] dead rough-legged hawk at Grand Pre; chipping sparrow in Wolfville

Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 21:02:08 -0400
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_12806_28644234.1197162128885

Hi,

We had our first Common Redpolls at the feeder today. We have had 1-2
Chipping Sparrows at the feeder for the last week or so. There was a (live)
light-phase Rough-leg along Middle Dyke Rd. towards Lr.Canard, and there
was  a large flock of Snow Buntings with a few Horned Larks farther along.
Bernard Forsythe told me this evening that there were 4 (or ?6)
N.Cardinalsin the shrubbery at the edge of the new subdivision being
created across the
road and just east of the Blomidon Inn. Couldn't get out much today because
of a lousy cold - what a waste of a nice day!

Richard

On Dec 8, 2007 8:19 PM, Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Dec. 8, 2007 - Sheila McCurdy took a long walk at Grand Pre with her dog,
> noting several flocks of REDPOLLS on the dykelands.  She was along the
> main
> dyke just south of the west end of Long Island when she found an
> apparently
> freshly DEAD BUTEO HAWK, which she put in a plastic bag and brought it to
> my
> house and left it there for me to find in late afternoon.  It appears to
> me
> to be an INTERMEDIATE PHASE ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK, perhaps an immature?, and
> it
> was found in a spot where a road-kill is unlikely.  However, the tail
> shows
> little or no white (OK?); I didn=B9t check on the undersides of the wings=
.
> also didn=B9t feel the breast muscles before I took it to an Acadia Biolo=
gy
> freezer for Fred Scott to find later.
>
> I think Luke DeCicco reported a rough-leg at Grand Pre just a few days
> ago,
> but he didn=B9t say what plumage he saw.
>
> At our feeders in Wolfville, a new very small sparrow showed up today,
> probably a CHIPPING SPARROW but I will reserve judgement until I can rule
> on
> whether it might be the less likely but regular stray, a CLAY-COLOURED
> SPARROW.
>
> Cheers :-) from Jim in Wolfville, 542-9204
> ---------------------
> Jim (James W.) Wolford
> 91 Wickwire Avenue
> Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada
> B4P 1W3
> phone (902)542-9204 (home)
> fax (902)585-1059 (Acadia Univ. Biology Dept.)
> e-mail <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
> ----------------------
> =B3...... the Earth .....belongs as much to those who come after us as to
> us;
> and we have no right, by anything that we do, or neglect to do, to involv=
> them in unnecessary penalties, or to deprive them of benefits which are
> theirs by right.=B2  - John Ruskin
> ----------------------

--=20
#################
Dr.Richard Stern,
70 Exhibition St.
Kentville, NS, Canada
B4N 4K9

Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca
rbstern@xcountry.tv
sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

------=_Part_12806_28644234.1197162128885

Hi,<br><br>We had our first Common Redpolls at the feeder today. We have ha=
d 1-2 Chipping Sparrows at the feeder for the last week or so. There was a =
(live) light-phase Rough-leg along Middle Dyke Rd. towards Lr.Canard, and t=
here was&nbsp; a large flock of Snow Buntings with a few Horned Larks farth=
er along. Bernard Forsythe told me this evening that there were 4 (or ?6)=
=20
N.Cardinals in the shrubbery at the edge of the new subdivision being creat=
ed across the road and just east of the Blomidon Inn. Couldn&#39;t get out =
much today because of a lousy cold - what a waste of a nice day!<br><br>
rd &lt;jimwolford@eastlink.ca=
&gt; wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px =
solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Dec. 8, 2007 - Sheila McCurdy took a long walk at Grand Pre with her dog,<b=
r>noting several flocks of REDPOLLS on the dykelands. &nbsp;She was along t=
he main<br>dyke just south of the west end of Long Island when she found an=
 apparently
to my<br>house and left it there for me to find in late afternoon. &nbsp;It=
 appears to me<br>to be an INTERMEDIATE PHASE ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK, perhaps an=
 immature?, and it
ail shows<br>little or no white (OK?); I didn=B9t check on the undersides o=
f the wings. &nbsp;I<br>also didn=B9t feel the breast muscles before I took=
 it to an Acadia Biology
ted a rough-leg at Grand Pre just a few days ago,<br>but he didn=B9t say wh=
at plumage he saw.<br><br>At our feeders in Wolfville, a new very small spa=
rrow showed up today,
le on<br>whether it might be the less likely but regular stray, a CLAY-COLO=
ia Univ. Biology Dept.)<br>e-mail &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jimwolford@eastlink=
.ca">
arth .....belongs as much to those who come after us as to us;<br>and we ha=
ve no right, by anything that we do, or neglect to do, to involve<br>them i=
n unnecessary penalties, or to deprive them of benefits which are
B4N 4K9<br>
B0P 1T0<br><br><a href=3D"mailto:rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca">rbstern@ns.sympat=
ico.ca</a><br><a href=3D"mailto:rbstern@xcountry.tv">rbstern@xcountry.tv</a=