[NatureNS] birding call in show on CBC today.

Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 13:13:48 -0400
From: "Randy Lauff" <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_18521_30817498.1197134028469

On 07/12/2007, Margaret E.Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Other wildlife on the feeder, a squirrel, a
> grey creature...mole vole or small rat (not the right shape for the rat I
> think) ? it is scooting all about under and up  the grapevine to the
> feeder
> and has trails going everywhere;

Moles do not have the right foot/leg structure to "scoot" anywhere, though I
understand their shovel-like hands also make them good swimmers.

If it was grey, it could be a House Mouse or a Meadow Vole. I'm not sure if
Meadow Voles climb well, but I suspect they do...certainly many of our small
mammals do.

Randy
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of