[NatureNS] BG Gnatcatcher, NP Warb, Oriols, C-C Sparr. & Others

Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 22:39:27 -0400
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Tom,

We had the same problem with an over-wintering Oriole a few years ago.
My husband designed a feeder which would allow her to get to the food,
but which most Starlings were not able to get into.  It is basically a
small wooden box, mounted below a window, with one side made of wooden
dowels, like bars.  It is tricky getting the bars the right distance
apart, but he found  .25" wooden dowels, centres spaced 1.5" apart
worked.  Don says you have to build this carefully,  as the Starlings
don't need much more space than 1.25" to squeeze through! He hinged one
of the end boards, so that we could put the food inside, and added a
hook and eye arrangement to close the 'door'.

Hope this is understandable.  If not, e-mail your questions.

Lois Codling