[NatureNS] Alien species and the problems they cause

Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 08:11:30 -0400
From: "Suzanne Townsend" <suzanne.townsend@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_6748_22123778.1196943090547

All of Halifax and the government should read this as they are debating the
new cat laws right now!!!! Please forward the link to anyone you know who
might be involved in that.

I think it is incorrect that "confining ... cats indoors... would be unfair
to the cats." A cat may have the instinct to hunt, but it does not need to
hunt to survive. Even as a cat owner, I too say, "Cats Indoors!" (A vet did
tell me once, though, that if a kitten is raised indoors, it will not hunt
later on. I haven't tested that, but it's tempting.)

Suzanne, Boutiliers Pt

On 12/6/07, P.L. Chalmers <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
>         I must confess that I find it difficult to come to grips with the
> idea of earthworms as alien species.  I just don't know enough about these
> things.  I also agree with David Webster that the invasive species which
> causes me the most concern is closer to home.  So, in a related vein, I
> thought that many here might find this recent article interesting (although
> I know that I risk setting the cat among the plovers, as it were).
>
>         I'm not sure how long this will be freely accessible on the
> website - perhaps only this week?
>
>         Cheers,
>
>         Patricia L. Chalmers
>         Halifax
>

> *Kill the Cat That Kills the Bird?<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/02/magazine/02cats-v--birds-t.html?ref=magazine>
> *By BRUCE BARCOTT
>
> When a leading bird-watcher in Texas shot one of the feral cats that had
> been stalking piping plovers, he started the kind of war that only really
> concerned humans can wage...
>

> http://www.nytimes.com/pages/magazine/

------=_Part_6748_22123778.1196943090547

<h5><b>Kill the Cat That Kills the Bird? </b></h5>By BRUCE BARCOTT

------=_Part_6748_22123778.1196943090547--