[NatureNS] re pronunciation of "pileated" woodpecker's name

Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:51:42 -0400
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_j+HHOOMY3+0vWCJ97JcUTw)

Once again I can't resist more....I took a year of Latin in high school and
then another year (!) in college, and, as I recall, I was taught that those
who spoke Latin long ago had no "long i" sound as in "pie"; thus the "i" wa=
mostly pronounced like "ee" in geese.

Who can add to this fascinating?c/crucial? subject?

Apologies from past-scholar Jim in Wolfville