[NatureNS] Pileated Woodpecker nomenclature

Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:23:09 -0400
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_2490_8098533.1196184189560

Hi,

For those who have been following another thread started by Jim, I have seen
Pile-ee-ated Woodpeckers in Green-idge and Burrwick, but not in Neecum Taw.

Richard

--
#################
Dr.Richard Stern,

Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca
rbstern@xcountry.tv
sternrichard@gmail.com

------=_Part_2490_8098533.1196184189560

c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca&gt; wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><div style="">

<i>pileus</i>&quot; (meaning &quot;a cap or hat&quot;). The stress on these words is on the first&nbsp;syllable&nbsp;and the &quot;i&quot; is pronounced as a long vowel (as in the word &quot;pile&quot;) rather than short (as in the word &quot;pill&quot;). &quot;