[NatureNS] birds today

From: "Heather Drope" <heather.drope@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 00:24:56 -0400

Today a friend and I were out at the Bowater land in
St.Margarets Bay area and after seeing nothing in the way
of bird life for most of the afternoon, finally lucked in and
saw a Spruce grouse on the road edge. She was
scratching around and eating. Then we saw a chickadee
and after that a dozen or more Pine Grosbeaks. At nearly
dark on our way out and just past the parking area for the
Annapolas Trail, we saw birds cross in front of the car. We
stopped and the birds came back. There were seven
Redpolls devouring the seeds on a roadside alder shrub.
They were very intent on that and we didn't concern them
at all. We got to observe them for a very long time. It was
almost dark when we left them to head for home.  Nice to
see on a cool, winter type day. Heather Drope