[NatureNS] Boreal Birds moving south this winter

Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 10:38:02 -0400
From: "Randy Lauff" <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

The following message p
------=_Part_29170_26057272.1195742282216

Regarding the owls:

Not only are banding stations getting high numbers, most are getting *record
* high numbers. Although the crash of rodents occurred after this year's
breeding season in Ontario, the crash occurred earlier here (I monitor small
mammals as part of my research), so we did not see a good breeding season
for the small owls here.

Two nights ago, at my place, I broadcasted the call of a Saw-whet and had at
least three responses (1 sighting, two auditory). Last night I tried
again...nothing. Weather permitting, I'll try again this weekend, perhaps
with the Boreal call as well (though it is distinctly un-Boreal in my
area...one never knows).

So next year, I predict a better breeding season than this one, but starting
later. In two years, we should see our peak. We'll see.