[NatureNS] Port George this afternoon

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 22:11:27 -0400

As I had business in both Kingston and Middleton today, I naturally crammed
in a very quick trip to the Bay, even though the timing was less than ideal.
It was high tide and a considerable surf was running, making it hard to see
whatever was hidden out there. Even so, the bright sunlight showed up the
Surf Scoters and Red Throated Loons as if they had personal searchlights.
Amazingly, there was absolutely no snow at the Bay, only a mile or so away
there was an enormous amount. In the Middleton area they were still fixing
power lines.

Surf Scoters - 67
White Winged Scoters - 10
Common Eiders - 32
Red Necked Grebes - 2
Common Loons - 5
Red Throated Loons - 12
Northern Gannets - 3
Common Merganser -1
Harlequin Ducks - 5
I presume the other Harlequins were resting on the rocks and were out of
sight, I didn't have time to wait for them.

John Belbin - Hantsport