[NatureNS] Crows: the shock and the grief (?)

Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:21:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Suzanne Borkowski <suzanneborkowski@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi;

Anthropomorphism is defined as attributing human
characteristics or personality traits to animals or
gods.

So, for example, everyone knows that a cartoon
depicting Donald Duck singing and playing the piano is
anthropomorphism.

What amazes me, however, is that many people think
having emotions is a solely human characteristic.

Happiness, sadness, fear, anger, are all emotions, and
not just the perogative of humans.  Anyone who owns a
dog or cat can give examples of their pet displaying
these same emotions.

Wild animals can also have emotions.  Why not?  The
world is made up of many different species.  Some of
them, like crows, dolphins, whales, are quite
intelligent.  Who's to say that humans are the only
species to think, figure, and feel emotion?

Cheers;
Suzanne