[NatureNS] Re: [NS-RBA] Report from Seaview Park

Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 13:03:17 -0400
From: Don MacLaughlin <donm@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Heya Bob,

Things have been crazy down here too.  We havnīt had the wind but if you
havenīt heard I didnīt come down here at the best time in the century LOL.

http://news.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/Thousands+stranded+without+food+water+after+Mexican+floods/World/ContentPosting.aspx?isfa=1&newsitemid=mexico-floods&feedname=CBC-WORLD-V2&show=False&number=0&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc

Our house is not flooded but the neighborhood is worried because there is an 8
foot high wall of sandbags that is leaking water quite rapidly.  In 1999 the
whole neighborhood flooded and that time was nothing like now.  It is
good they
made a dyke along the river where it passes our neighborhood.

Since there was no running water and food and drinking water was low and
immpossible to buy we left Villahermosa Friday and drove to Coatzacoalcos to
stay.  Sunday we drove on to Veracruz to get some work done on the car since
that is the nearest Volvo dealer.  We hope to get the car back at lunch time
and drive back to Villahermosa today.

I havenīt had time to do any birdwatching as you can imagine but I did get
another lifer last night in Veracruz in the most unlikely place.  On the beach
in front of our hotel was a Thicknee.  Had great looks at it for 30
minutes but
the camera batteries are dead.  Also saw some Magnificant Frigatebirds, Black
Terns and of Course many Brown Pelicans. On the drive were every kind of Egret
you can expect here as well as lots of Black-necked Stints.  Had a
Blue-crowned
Motmot fly over our car as well on the way here.

Talk to you again when I get back.
Donald