[NatureNS] re ice trapping loons and other birds

Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 16:58:18 -0400
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_qW7u//2nSSh0d9JyNR0biw)

I can add an ancient note to this subject:

In my days in central Alberta, 35-40 years ago (yipe!!), in certain years
similar phenomena occurred on lakes east of Edmonton, specifically Cooking
and especially Hastings Lake, as I recall.  The advancing ice in late autumn
would produce open holes of water that gradually became smaller and smaller,
and always seemed to attract a variety of ducks, like scaups and goldeneyes
etc.  These lakes were shallow and very productive, being full of amphipod
crustaceans, larvae of midge flies, etc. etc.  These concentrations of small
numbers of waterfowl also attracted predators, like bald eagles and
newly-arrived snowy owls for the winter.  Such predators took advantage of
these apparently easy-to-catch prey (weakening?).

Cheers? from Jim in Wolfville