[NatureNS] Un-scary Sharpie

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Mike McCall <mikemccall@xcountry.tv>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 08:32:20 -0400

As I lay abed with my first coffee of the day Sharp-shinned Hawk took
up her post early this morning
just outside the window on a fence post about ten feet from a feeding
station
offering suet and niger . All was quiet for about five minutes but soon
both Blue Jays and Chickadees began feeding as the Sharpie, nearly
immobile save for head movement,
looked on as if it were watching televison.  The bird visited for
about 20 minutes before scooting.

Given that I've often seen Sharpies take both Jays and Chickadees, I
would be interested in knowing
whether my experience today was normal for a Sharpie with a full
stomach, whether the bird might
be unwell (listless) or any other reason it appeared to be
uninterested in its usual prey.

Mike McCall