[NatureNS] Cherry Hill Beach

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 20:02:18 +0000

--_62e20861-2972-4b20-8c89-0d51270161bf_

I took a run over to Cherry Hill this afternoon to see what damage had been=
 done.  Lets just say a lot.  The piping plovers are going to have a hard g=
o of it in regards to habitat next season.  Of course a lot can change on t=
he beach over the winter.  It might actually be for the best.  All the of t=
he nice beach areas that had developed are mostly rocked in.  Possibly the =
birds will nest amongst the rocky areas where a lot of people do not or wil=
l not travel.  Of course that will make it interesting if symbolic fencing =
is put in place. =20
=20
The bulk of the damage occurs at the start of the beach.  Two holes are bla=
sted through where one usually parks.  The good thing is that no one is goi=
ng to be driving out through the middle of the dunes or along the old road =
way any time soon, unless they have a tank or a vehicle with a lot of clear=
ance or if they cut a new road through the dunes.  The road is pretty well =
rocked in nicely.  Through the centre where some vehicles were driving and =
should not have been there is a two to three foot drop with water which spa=
ns about six feet across now.  At the end where cars used to park it is all=
 rock now and is built up by one and one half to two feet.  Along the sand =
part of the road there is a hole now that is about four to five feet deep a=
nd filled with water and spans about five feet across.  I do not think any =
vehicles are going to be going over that.
=20
The dunes are pretty well flattened and rocks cover far in.  Major damage o=
ccurred at Rissers Beach and at Crescent Beach also.  Hirtle's Beach now ha=
s the first lake with a hole open to the ocean.
=20
As per birds, I was not going to walk the whole way out, but I noticed a la=
rge concentration of larger shorebirds which might have been dowitchers.  I=
 decided to check them out, but by the time I got there they had disappeare=
d.  I did find:
=20
Black-bellied Plover 10
Dunlin 19
Ruddy Turnstone 1
Western Sandpiper 1
White-rumped Sandpiper 1
Sanderling 4
=20
Upon arrival a merlin was cutting through the middle of 70 snow buntings.
=20
Snow Bunting totals 94
=20
Horned Lark 3
=20
Horned Grebe 1
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore
Are you ready for Windows Live Messenger Beta 8.5 ? Get the latest for free=
 today!
http://entertainment.sympatico.msn.ca/WindowsLiveMessenger=

--_62e20861-2972-4b20-8c89-0d51270161bf_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
I took a run over to Cherry Hill this afternoon to see what damage had been=
 done.&nbsp; Lets just say a lot.&nbsp; The piping plovers are going to hav=
e a hard go of it in regards to habitat next season.&nbsp; Of course a lot =
can change on the beach over the winter.&nbsp; It might actually be for the=
 best.&nbsp; All the of the nice beach areas that had developed are mostly =
rocked in.&nbsp; Possibly the birds will nest amongst the rocky areas where=
 a lot of people do not or will not travel.&nbsp; Of course that will make =
it interesting if symbolic fencing is put in place.&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
The bulk of the damage occurs at the start of the beach.&nbsp; Two holes ar=
e blasted through where one usually parks.&nbsp; The good thing is that no =
one is going to be driving out through the middle of the dunes or along the=
 old road way any time soon, unless they have a tank or a vehicle with a lo=
t of clearance or if they cut a new road through the dunes.&nbsp; The road =
is pretty well rocked in nicely.&nbsp; Through the centre where some vehicl=
es were driving and should not have been there is a two to three foot drop =
with water which spans about six feet across now.&nbsp; At the end where ca=
rs used to park it is all rock now and is built up by one and one half to t=
wo feet.&nbsp; Along the sand part of the road there is a hole now that is =
about four to five feet deep and filled with water and spans about five fee=
t across.&nbsp; I do not think any vehicles are going to be going over that=
.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
The dunes are pretty well flattened and rocks cover far in.&nbsp; Major dam=
age occurred at Rissers Beach and at Crescent Beach also.&nbsp; Hirtle's Be=
ach now has the first lake with a hole open to the ocean.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
As per birds, I was not going to walk the whole way out, but I noticed a la=
rge concentration of larger shorebirds which might have been dowitchers.&nb=
sp; I decided to check them out, but by the time I got there they had disap=
peared.&nbsp; I did find:<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Black-bellied Plover 10<BR>
Dunlin 19<BR>
Ruddy Turnstone 1<BR>
Western Sandpiper 1<BR>
White-rumped Sandpiper 1<BR>
Sanderling 4<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Upon arrival a merlin was cutting through the middle of 70 snow buntings.<B=

&nbsp;<BR>
Snow Bunting totals 94<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Horned Lark 3<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Horned Grebe 1<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Dublin Shore<BR><br /><hr />Are you ready for Windows Live Messenger Beta 8=
.5 ? <a href=3D'http://entertainment.sympatico.msn.ca/WindowsLiveMessenger'=
 target=3D'_new'>Get the latest for free today!</a></body>

--_62e20861-2972-4b20-8c89-0d51270161bf_--