[NatureNS] Shoresird Flock Wolfville Dykes and a Brown Creeper Sighting

From: Sherman Williams <shermw@xcountry.tv>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 00:24:42 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-1--793565468
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

During a Tuesday morning walk along the Wolfville Dyke, 9:30  to
10:15, just after high tide, I was surprised to observe a good sized
flock of shorebirds moving across the water in a large dark cloud
just as one would expect to see in July, August and September. They
even did a nice swirling tornado cloud. I kept and eye on them as I
walked along, hoping to get a closer look but it was difficult. They
appeared to be mostly semi-palmated sandpipers, probably about 1500
birds.

There was a smaller flock of larger birds flying about in the area as
well, sometimes merging with the larger group of smaller birds; they
appeared to be mostly Black-bellied Plovers, about 20 birds.  This
was in the vicinity of the sewage ponds.

A short time later, just as I was arriving home in Avonport,  I was
treated to a view of 2 Brown Creepers, diligently creeping their way
up a tree trunk, then darting off to another and repeating the
procedure, occasionally uttering thin, high pitched notes as they
worked.   Brown Creeper sightings on my property are rare, so this
was a special treat.

Sherman Williams
shermw@xcountry.tv

--Apple-Mail-1--793565468

<HTML><BODY style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -khtml-nbsp-mode: space; =
-khtml-line-break: after-white-space; ">During a Tuesday morning walk =
along the Wolfville Dyke, 9:30=A0 to 10:15, just after high tide, I was =
surprised to observe a good sized flock of shorebirds moving across the =
water in a large dark cloud just as one would expect to see in July, =
August and September. They even did a nice swirling tornado cloud. I =
kept and eye on them as I walked along, hoping to get a closer look but =
it was difficult. They appeared to be mostly semi-palmated sandpipers, =
probably about 1500 birds.=A0<DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>There was a smaller flock =
of larger birds flying about in the area as well, sometimes merging with =
the larger group of smaller birds; they appeared to be mostly =
Black-bellied Plovers, about 20 birds.=A0 This was in the vicinity of =
the sewage ponds.</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>A short time later, just as =
I was arriving home in Avonport,=A0 I was treated to a view of 2 Brown =
Creepers, diligently creeping their way up a tree trunk, then darting =
off to another and repeating the procedure, occasionally uttering thin, =
high pitched notes as they worked.=A0 =A0Brown Creeper sightings on my =
property are rare, so this was a special treat.</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV><BR><DIV> <SPAN =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: separate; =
border-spacing: 0px 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-align: auto; =
-khtml-text-decorations-in-effect: none; text-indent: 0px; =
-apple-text-size-adjust: auto; text-transform: none; orphans: 2; =
white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; "><DIV>Sherman =
Williams</DIV><DIV><A =
href=3D"mailto:shermw@xcountry.tv">shermw@xcountry.tv</A></DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><BR =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></SPAN> </DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>=

--Apple-Mail-1--793565468--