[NatureNS] Brier Island Birds

From: "Carl Haycock" <foggy@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 15:10:16 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C81FBD.F9239D80

I did a quick tour of the island this afternoon  to see if anything was =
lingering after the wind died down since the storm. I certainly noticed =
more rw blackbirds with the grackles. Several flocks of evening =
grosbeaks and a few female RB grosbeaks at feeders, 1 at my backyard =
feeder. RB's are unusual for here this time of year. Goldfinches,Purple =
Finches and Pine Siskins are taking advantage of the alder seeds =
available. Also Junco's in driveways.Lots of noisy chickadees.They are =
all over the island. Several flocks of Cedar waxwings enjoying the =
berries. 17 TV's at Pond Cove. We usually have 14 that overwinter. =
Several flocks of pipits on the beach at Pond Cove and I saw my first =
flocks of Snow Buntings, 3 bunches, over 100 in total. 17 Greater Scaup =
in the Cove. The Snow goose is still present. N.Gannet have been diving =
in the harbor for 2 weeks now easily seen from the ferry and onshore. 12 =
Commom Loon in the harbor. B. Guillemot are common and in winter =
plumage.1 woodcock at midday sitting along the stream past the general =
store with it's big eyes closed. I haven't seen the SORA again. Always =
an interesting time of year...

FYI

Carl Haycock
Westport
------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C81FBD.F9239D80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I did&nbsp;a quick tour of the island =
this=20
afternoon &nbsp;to see if anything was lingering after the wind died=20
down&nbsp;since the storm. I certainly noticed more rw blackbirds with =
the=20
grackles. Several flocks of evening grosbeaks and a few female RB =
grosbeaks at=20
feeders, 1 at my backyard feeder. RB's are unusual for here this time of =
year.=20
Goldfinches,Purple Finches and Pine Siskins are&nbsp;taking advantage of =
the=20
alder seeds available. Also Junco's in driveways.Lots of noisy =
chickadees.They=20
are all over the island. Several flocks of Cedar waxwings enjoying the=20
berries.&nbsp;17 TV's at Pond Cove. We usually have 14 that overwinter. =
Several=20
flocks of pipits on the beach at Pond Cove and I saw my first flocks of =
Snow=20
Buntings, 3 bunches, over 100 in total. 17 Greater Scaup in the Cove. =
The Snow=20
goose is still present. N.Gannet have been diving in the harbor for 2 =
weeks now=20
easily seen from the ferry and onshore. 12 Commom Loon in the harbor. B. =

Guillemot are common and in winter plumage.1 woodcock at midday sitting =
along=20
the stream past the general store with it's big eyes closed. I haven't =
seen the=20
SORA again. Always an interesting time of year...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>FYI</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Carl&nbsp;Haycock</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Westport</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C81FBD.F9239D80--