[NatureNS] Great Egret, Osprey, Barnacle and Snow Goose

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>, "List, NS-RBA" <ns-rba@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 19:48:23 -0300

--_314a917f-c78b-47e3-80b4-9262c7ff54c9_

Hello all,
=20
  Another Barnacle Goose update, with thanks to all those who have been sub=
mitting reports.  It was at the large cultivated field in Masstown where Ke=
n and others had seen it Monday, this p.m. from 17:45 to 18:15 (almost dark=
), along with about 1200 Canada Geese and one white-morph Snow Goose.  I co=
uld see the Snow Goose from the concrete house lane west of the field, but =
could not find the Barnacle until checking from the Putnam Rd. side (east o=
f the field) Putnam actually ends at this field, but after asking permissio=
n, I was able to drive up a grass-covered road between two fences along the=
 east side that gave a better view of the whole field with enough shrubs al=
ong it to provide cover.  Could not see any sign of a band or unusual feath=
er wear on the Barnacle G.  If all the members of the Bird Records Committe=
e get to see it, does that make it countable? (:>).  No sign of the White-f=
ronted nor of any definite Cackling, although the Canadas came in various s=
izes.
=20
Cheers,
Wayne Neily Tremont, Nova Scotia from Masstown Market "There is a pleasure =
in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is soc=
iety where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love no=
t man the less, but Nature more." - George Gordon, Lord Byron, 1812.=20

Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 07:36:05 -0300From: kenmcken@eastlink.caSubject: [Na=
tureNS] Great Egret, Osprey, Barnacle and Snow GooseTo: naturens@chebucto.n=
s.ca; NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com

=20
Ken McKennaBox 218 Stellarton NSB0K 1S0902 752-7644Hi all
Richard Murphy noted a GREAT EGRET at the big salt marsh on Big I. on Monda=
y morning, Oct. 29. He also noted several Snow Buntings on his drive along =
the causeway to Big I.=20
 Also on Monday about 10:00 a.m., I observed a late OSPREY from my house in=
 Plymouth, Pict. hovering over the East River below; It flew upstream. Gera=
ldine Metcalf noted an Osprey as well in the Ben Eoin area of Cape Breton o=
n her way down this way to check out the geese in Masstown.=20
At Masstown, we went directly to the area where the Barnacle Goose was seen=
 on Sunday evening taking the Masstown exit to get there. On the way by the=
 Chiganois Elementary School we noted a flock of geese behind the school bu=
t went to the Shore Rd. to check that flock first. The flock was further fr=
om the road than Sunday night and we did not note anything significant in t=
he Canada Geese in that flock. Geraldine noted a Harrier while we were scop=
ing the flock. We went back to the area of the school scoping first from th=
e upper part of Putman Rd. At that time we could not see all the flock so w=
e went in a lane at # 11039 Concrete Homes just west of the school property=
 since school was still in session and scoped the flock from the shed. We n=
oted the BARNACLE GOOSE in the flock. This was about 11:30.=20
    We then proceeded to Onslow where there were no geese at first, but fro=
m Tidal Bore Rd. we noted a few geese coming into the field just east of th=
e end ot McWilliam Rd. We could not find the White-fronted or Cackling Gees=
e in this flock and we then explored the other side of Cobequid Bay ( Old B=
arns, Clifton, and Shore Rd. near Black Rock). No Geese here.=20
    We then went back to Masstown and saw the SNOW GOOSE with the flock con=
taining the Barnacle Goose. There were also about 20 Black-bellied Plover a=
nd about 60 smaller sandpiper types in the area as well. The Geese were now=
 spread out a bit better and could be seen from either the Putman Rd. or th=
e Concrete Homes location. Another trip back to Onslow failed to show eithe=
r the White-fronted or any Cackling Geese.=20
cheers
Ken
Send a smile, make someone laugh, have some fun! Start now!
http://www.freemessengeremoticons.ca/?icid=3DEMENCA122=

--_314a917f-c78b-47e3-80b4-9262c7ff54c9_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Hello all,<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp; Another Barnacle Goose update, with thanks to all&nbsp;those who hav=
e been submitting reports.&nbsp; It was at the large cultivated field in Ma=
sstown where Ken and others had seen it Monday, this p.m.&nbsp;from 17:45 t=
o 18:15 (almost dark), along with about 1200 Canada Geese and one white-mor=
ph Snow Goose.&nbsp; I could see the&nbsp;Snow Goose from the concrete hous=
e lane west of the field, but could not find the Barnacle until checking fr=
om the Putnam Rd. side (east of the field) Putnam actually ends at this fie=
ld, but after asking permission, I was able to drive up a grass-covered roa=
d between two fences along the east side that gave a better view of the who=
le field with enough shrubs along it to provide cover.&nbsp; Could not see =
any sign of a band or unusual feather wear on the Barnacle G.&nbsp; If all =
the members of the Bird Records Committee get to see it, does that make it =
countable? (:&gt;).&nbsp; No sign of the White-fronted nor of any definite =
Cackling, although the Canadas came in various sizes.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Cheers,<BR><BR><BR>
<DIV>Wayne Neily <BR>Tremont, Nova Scotia from Masstown Market&nbsp;<BR><BR=
>"There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, <BR>There is a rapture on the =
lonely shore, <BR>There is society where none intrudes, <BR>By the deep sea=
, and music in its roar: <BR>I love not man the less, but Nature more." - G=
eorge Gordon, Lord Byron, 1812. <BR><BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
<HR>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 07:36:05 -0300<BR>From: kenmcken@eastlink.ca<BR>Subj=
ect: [NatureNS] Great Egret, Osprey, Barnacle and Snow Goose<BR>To: naturen=
s@chebucto.ns.ca; NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com<BR><BR>
<META content=3D"Microsoft SafeHTML" name=3DGenerator>
<STYLE>
</STYLE>

<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0=
K 1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Richard Murphy noted a GREAT EGRET at the =
big salt marsh on Big I. on Monday morning,&nbsp;Oct. 29. He also noted sev=
eral Snow Buntings on his drive along the causeway to Big I. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;Also on Monday about 10:00 a.m., I o=
bserved a late OSPREY from my house in Plymouth, Pict. hovering over the Ea=
st River below; It flew upstream. Geraldine Metcalf noted an Osprey as well=
&nbsp;in the Ben Eoin area of&nbsp;Cape Breton on her way down this way to =
check out the geese in Masstown. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>At Masstown,</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT face=3DAria=
l size=3D2>we went directly to the area where the Barnacle Goose was seen o=
n Sunday evening taking the Masstown exit to get there. On the way by the C=
higanois Elementary School we noted a flock of geese behind the school but =
went to the Shore Rd. to check that flock first. The flock was further from=
 the road than Sunday night and we did not note anything significant in the=
 Canada Geese in that flock. Geraldine noted a Harrier while we were scopin=
g the flock. We went back to the area of the school scoping first from the =
upper part of Putman Rd. At that time we could not see all the flock so we =
went in a lane at # 11039 Concrete Homes just west of the&nbsp;school prope=
rty since school was still in session&nbsp;and scoped the flock from the sh=
ed. We noted the BARNACLE GOOSE in the flock. This was about 11:30. </FONT>=
</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; We then proceeded to On=
slow where there were no geese at first, but from Tidal Bore Rd. we noted a=
 few geese coming into the field just east of the end ot McWilliam Rd. We c=
ould not find the White-fronted or Cackling Geese in this flock and we then=
 explored the other side of Cobequid Bay ( Old Barns, Clifton, and Shore Rd=
. near Black Rock). No Geese here. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; We then went back to Ma=
sstown and saw the SNOW GOOSE with the flock containing the Barnacle Goose.=
 There were also about 20 Black-bellied Plover and about 60 smaller sandpip=
er types in the area as well. The Geese were now spread out a bit better an=
d could be seen from either the Putman Rd. or the Concrete Homes location. =
Another trip back to Onslow failed to show either the White-fronted or any =
Cackling Geese. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ken</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE><br /><hr />S=
end a smile, make someone laugh, have some fun! <a href=3D'http://www.freem=
essengeremoticons.ca/?icid=3DEMENCA122' target=3D'_new'>Start now!</a></bod=
y>

--_314a917f-c78b-47e3-80b4-9262c7ff54c9_--