[NatureNS] more on PBS TV: NATURE: on disappearing honeybees

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:28:42 -0400
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: Dick Rogers <drogers@wildwoodlabs.com>,

The show was called "Silence of the bees" and ran for about 50 minutes with
no commercials (3 cheers for PBS).  I wasn't totally attentive throughout
the program, but I did tape it.  The CCD, or Colony Collapse Disorder, has
hit not only North America (about 3/4 of the U.S. states plus areas of
Canada), but also in Europe and Central America and South America.  CCD
seems to be still a big mystery, only dating back to its first symptoms
noted in early winter a year ago.  A parasite of great interest, Nosema
sarani??, which I believe is a microscopic microsporidian protozoan, seems
to have been eliminated, since in Germany? it seemed to be prevalent in all
hiaves tested, not just the ones that collapsed.  There seems to be a lot of
interest now in a new? virus, and hives are now being tested and monitored
to see what happens to them this year at the same time as the collapses
started a year ago (in November? and December).

A few days ago, on As It Happens on CBC Radio, I heard the tail end of an
interview with a Dr. Guzman?? (or similar name?), who was investigating both
varroa mites and the Nosema parasite, I believe?

Can anyone add to this or correct my report?

Cheers and thanks from Jim