[NatureNS] Mystery Insects

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 01:12:26 -0300
To: Blake Maybank <maybank@ns.sympatico.ca>
From: David Christie <maryspt@nbnet.nb.ca>
Cc: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

margin-left: 0px; min-height: 14px; "&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;div style=3D"mar
At 3:51 PM -0300 on 10/18/07, you wrote:

>I apologise if this question has been posed before.  In the last few
>days I've noticed numbers of tiny white flies floating about the
>yard, looking for all the world like bits of fluff, dust, or tiny
>seeds.   But they have wings, and can propel themselves.   And they
>are quite adept at avoiding capture.  Can anyone assist with an ID/

Hi Blake,

I believe what you saw were woolly alder aphids (Prociphilus
tesselatus), which fly on warm autumn days. They are quite
conspicuous here this week.

Dave
--

David Christie
Mary's Point, Harvey, Albert Co., New Brunswick, Canada