[NatureNS] re Tar spots mar Norway maples -- The Advertiser (King's

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:16:07 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: Ruth Newell <ruth.newell@acadiau.ca>,

Marian, do you know how to distinguish sugar from Norway maples?  In
Wolfville the sugar maples have another fungus, ANTHRACNOSE, which does not
make spots on the leaves, but just dries up the leaf edges which get brown
and crispy.

For Norway vs. sugar maple, there are differences in leaf shape, in how much
lighter coloured the back of the leaf is, and in the size and angle of the
pairs of fruits/seeds.

Find a tree book somewhere.  Gary Saunders' Trees of Nova Scotia is cheap
and good and for sale at the N.S. Museum of Nat. Hist. -- perhaps in
libraries? -- and other books should be helpful as well.

I will try to embellish this note about distinguishing marks later.

And thanks to all of you who have responded to my initial inquiry about the
distribution of tar spot fungus on maples.

Cheers from Jim