[NatureNS] Fwd: [Halifax RASCals] October Meeting Announcement: Friday October 19th @ 8:00pm

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Patrick Kelly <patrick.kelly@dal.ca>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 19:29:00 -0300

--Apple-Mail-148--654623790
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

The October meeting of the Halifax Centre of the RASC (Royal
Astronomical
Society of Canada) will be held Friday, October 19th at 8:00 PM in Room
L176
of the Loyola Building at Saint Mary's University.

(A map can be found at the Centre's web site; see below.)

Members of the public are welcome. Attendance is free.

This meeting will feature:

"Galaxies: Structure Formation in the Universe from First Light to
Redshift
Zero"

by Dr. Marcin Sawicki

Superficially, galaxies appear as spectacular but static agglomerations
of
stars. However, in addition to stars, they contain gas, dust, and dark
matter - all vital ingredients that govern these ever-changing systems.
Moreover, in addition to being interesting in and of themselves,
galaxies
can teach us a lot about how structure at all levels formed in the
Universe.
I will talk about what we know about galaxies today, where we think they
came from, and what we hope to learn about them in the coming decade of
powerful new super-telescopes.

Marcin Sawicki studies the formation and evolution of galaxies at epochs
when the Universe was only a fraction of its present age. He is
particularly
interested in where and when the Universe made its stars and the complex
chemical elements that we are all made of. In his work Marcin uses
space-based facilities including the Hubble Space Telescope and the
Spitzer
Space Telescope, as well as ground-based ones such as the Gemini, Keck,
and
Magellan telescopes. When not studying distant galaxies, Marcin hikes
(slowly), sails (obsessively), and plays Japanese taiko drums (loudly).

Marcin has obtained his BSc at McMaster University in Hamilton and his
MSc
and PhD at the University of Toronto. He then held an NSERC
Post-Doctoral
Fellowship at Caltech, was a Plaskett Fellow at the National Research
Council's Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics in Victoria and, most
recently,
a Research Physicist at University of California at Santa Barbara. He
is now
an Assistant Professor of Astronomy and Physics at St Mary's University
in
Halifax, and also holds a Space Science Fellowship from the Canadian
Space
Agency.

For additional information about the Royal Astronomical Society of
Canada,
visit our web site:

National:
http://www.rasc.ca

Halifax Centre:

http://halifax.rasc.ca

==
Patrick Kelly
Director of Computer Facilities
==
Faculty of Architecture and Planning
Dalhousie University
==
PO Box 1000 Stn Central                5410 Spring Garden Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4           Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4
Canada                                 Canada
==
Phone:(902) 494-3294    FAX:(902) 423-6672   E-mail:patrick.kelly@dal.ca
==

--Apple-Mail-148--654623790