[NatureNS] Nature News - N. Cape Breton

From: <angusmcl@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 10:30:47 -0400

Since arriving last Thursday evening, Fiday (Oct. 5) has been the only day without strong (sometimes 70-80 k) winds. I spent some time at Cabot Landing P.P. on Friday & saw:
- 8 Black-bellied Plovers
- 1 Semi-palmated Plover
- ~75 Gannets feeding well-offshore on (presumably) mackeral.
- ~50 scoters, all Blacks as far as I could determine.
- many Bonaparte's Gulls.
- 1 Arctic Tern
- 1 Guillemot

I was surprised to find 95% of the bees were Bombus ternarius. Recently in Kings County virtually all are either Honey Bees or Bombus impatiens. It appears B. ternarius is a more northerly bee even though it is present in Kings co. summer to fall in varying amounts.
Also present at Cabot Landing were two common Hover Flies species, several bees or mimics I was not sure of and one interesting wasp with a swollen abdomen.

For those interested in fall colours the colours will be full in a couple of days. Hopefully the winds will die down!!

Angus