[NatureNS] Mourning Warbler

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>,
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 02:45:26 -0300

Well, I don't know that in my experience with Mourning Warblers in Cape Breton that they
were particularly elusive. Between Cheticamp and Pleasant Bay there is a CBNHNPark trail,
the "Skyline",  I believe it is called. It is a long, open trail on the top of the French Mountain
between a steep valley and the steep dropoff into the Gulf of St. Lawrence. In June that trail
used to be just jumping with Mourning Warblers, it seemed in about every 10th or 12th bush
or skinny, weather beaten excuse of a tree. They were not a bit shy and were singing their
songs with great lustre, quite ready to show off and pronounce their happiness with the
Spring sunshine and soon to be Summer. It is a great chance for observation and should
make for some wonderful photographs, if the conditions are still the same. That was back in
the Spring of 197l, however, so the Spring of 2008 could prove me otherwise. I surely would
like to think most of their descendants will arrive and provide the same entertainment to
other birders as was given to me one fine morning in June. JET