[NatureNS] Mourning Warbler

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 16:19:20 -0300

Joan Czapalay's response about Mourning Warblers:

Hi Lois, The Mourning Warbler arrives late (in June around my summer
home in Port Greville) in NS. There are usually gone between Labour Day
and mid-Sept.. It breeds in many locations in Cumb., Col., Hants
counties and also in.Cape Breton. It is a VERY elusive warbler! At the
nest areas (alder thickets with young birch, poplar and Mt ash) where I
have found it, it is one quick "pop up" and that is it! Your neighbours
were fortunate to see one. This warbler has a rich, repetitive, cheerful
song on its territory. The mournful part must come from the black bib
and all dark head. We saw only one on the Cape Chignecto field trip in
late June. It was in a traditional location in Brookville.

Joan Czapalay