[NatureNS] Duncan Cove, Sandy Cove

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 21:11:45 -0300

Just want to add to what Hans Toom saw in Duncan Cove.   Fulton and I saw 2
females and 1 male white crowned sparrows. He thinks there are at least five
altogether.  He heard one of them singing.

On Chebucto Head Road, we sighted:

Baltimore Oriole
male Wilson's Warbler
orange crowned warbler
ruby crowned kinglet
winter wren (good looks at it!)
swamp sparrow

Sandy Cove Road

cooperative/ smart looking Lincoln's Sparrow (my first one for 2007!)
gray cheeked thrush - heard
hermit thrush - heard

The tree people were back cutting more of the alders with machines.

At Duncan's Cove there was one Baltimore Oriole west of the parking area and
a cooperative Ipswich Sparrow on the foreshore at Duncan Reef.  The knot of
trees around the first observer's bunker west of the Whale's Back castle is
a migrant trap.  This morning it was loaded up with Swamp Sparrows and a few
common warblers.
Hans Toom