[NatureNS] This was on CBC today - Is This True. Can our Government Be So

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 12:18:27 +0000

--_21e322c1-ecc4-42f6-8884-2db7a3a32732_

Environment Canada budget cuts threaten wildlife programsLast Updated: Tues=
day, September 18, 2007 | 11:53 PM ETCBC News<http://www.cbc.ca/news/credit=
.html>
Serious budget problems at Environment Canada are threatening wildlife prog=
rams and services within the federal department, freezing allotted money fo=
r some and reducing funds to nothing for others, CBC News has learned.
Of most concern to conservationists among a handful of cuts is that the Can=
adian Wildlife Service has had its service budget frozen for the rest of th=
e fiscal year, meaning all its scientific field and survey work has been ha=
lted. The national wildlife agency is directly responsible for studying and=
 protecting wildlife in Canada and puts out the Hinterland Who's Who public=
 service ads.
[http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2007/09/18/wildlife-cbc-070918.jp=
g]Wildlife and bird habitats protected as National Wildlife Areas have seen=
 funding cut to zero.(CBC)
"Wildlife doesn't have a voice, and sometimes the results of cuts today are=
n't realized for many years," said Sandy Baumgartner, executive director of=
 programs and communications for the Canadian Wildlife Federation.
Sources say the budget cuts are as follows:
 *   The Environmental Monitoring and Assessment Network, which observes ch=
anges in ecosystems, has lost 80 per cent of its budget. *   The Migratory =
Bird Program, which monitors the health of bird populations, has seen its b=
udget cut by 50 per cent. *   The budget for the National Wildlife Areas, a=
 program that protects nationally significant habitats for wildlife and bir=
ds, has been slashed from $1.9 million to zero.
Bob Bailey, a hunter and conservationist, was shocked to hear the federal g=
overnment's support for Canada's 144 National Wildlife Areas has been reduc=
ed to nothing.
"I simply can't believe. Have we become this urbanized, have we become this=
 uncaring that these places could be in jeopardy?" said Bailey, who is with=
 the Delta Waterfowl Foundation.
Continue Article<http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/09/18/enviro-canada-cu=
ts.html#skip300x250>
Sources told CBC that funds to those programs were slashed after Environmen=
t Canada overspent its budget.
Environment Minister John Baird wasn't available for comment. His departmen=
t sent an e-mail stating that no programs have been cut and that spending i=
s being prioritized for climate change initiatives.
"The government has been clear that its priorities are being a climate chan=
ge champion, and taking real action to provide clean air and clean water fo=
r Canadians," the e-mail said. "We think Canadians are supportive of those =
priorities."
Connect to the next generation of MSN Messenger=A0
http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=3Den-us&sourc=
e=3Dwlmailtagline=

--_21e322c1-ecc4-42f6-8884-2db7a3a32732_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Environment Canada budget cuts threaten wildlife programs<BR>Last Updated: =
Tuesday, September 18, 2007 | 11:53 PM ET<BR>CBC News&lt;<A href=3D"http://=
www.cbc.ca/news/credit.html">http://www.cbc.ca/news/credit.html</A>&gt;<BR>
Serious budget problems at Environment Canada are threatening wildlife prog=
rams and services within the federal department, freezing allotted money fo=
r some and reducing funds to nothing for others, CBC News has learned.<BR>
Of most concern to conservationists among a handful of cuts is that the Can=
adian Wildlife Service has had its service budget frozen for the rest of th=
e fiscal year, meaning all its scientific field and survey work has been ha=
lted. The national wildlife agency is directly responsible for studying and=
 protecting wildlife in Canada and puts out the Hinterland Who's Who public=
 service ads.<BR>
[http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2007/09/18/wildlife-cbc-070918.jp=
g]Wildlife and bird habitats protected as National Wildlife Areas have seen=
 funding cut to zero.<BR>(CBC)<BR>
"Wildlife doesn't have a voice, and sometimes the results of cuts today are=
n't realized for many years," said Sandy Baumgartner, executive director of=
 programs and communications for the Canadian Wildlife Federation.<BR>
Sources say the budget cuts are as follows:<BR>
&nbsp;*&nbsp;&nbsp; The Environmental Monitoring and Assessment Network, wh=
ich observes changes in ecosystems, has lost 80 per cent of its budget.<BR>=
&nbsp;*&nbsp;&nbsp; The Migratory Bird Program, which monitors the health o=
f bird populations, has seen its budget cut by 50 per cent.<BR>&nbsp;*&nbsp=
;&nbsp; The budget for the National Wildlife Areas, a program that protects=
 nationally significant habitats for wildlife and birds, has been slashed f=
rom $1.9 million to zero.<BR>
Bob Bailey, a hunter and conservationist, was shocked to hear the federal g=
overnment's support for Canada's 144 National Wildlife Areas has been reduc=
ed to nothing.<BR>
"I simply can't believe. Have we become this urbanized, have we become this=
 uncaring that these places could be in jeopardy?" said Bailey, who is with=
 the Delta Waterfowl Foundation.<BR>
Continue Article&lt;<A href=3D"http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/09/18/en=
viro-canada-cuts.html#skip300x250">http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/09/1=
8/enviro-canada-cuts.html#skip300x250</A>&gt;<BR>
Sources told CBC that funds to those programs were slashed after Environmen=
t Canada overspent its budget.<BR>
Environment Minister John Baird wasn't available for comment. His departmen=
t sent an e-mail stating that no programs have been cut and that spending i=
s being prioritized for climate change initiatives.<BR>
"The government has been clear that its priorities are being a climate chan=
ge champion, and taking real action to provide clean air and clean water fo=
r Canadians," the e-mail said. "We think Canadians are supportive of those =
priorities."<BR><BR><br /><hr />Connect to the next generation of MSN Messe=
nger=A0  <a href=3D'http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?=
locale=3Den-us&source=3Dwlmailtagline' target=3D'_new'>Get it now! </a></bo=
dy>

--_21e322c1-ecc4-42f6-8884-2db7a3a32732_--