[NatureNS] Re: birding

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:49:46 -0300
To: <habrams@yourvillage.com>, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Blake Maybank <maybank@ns.sympatico.ca>

Hi Harvey;

At 03:00 PM 10/09/2007, you wrote:
>Hi Blake,  The library only offers limited time to users, so here
>goes a quickie list of some birds I'd like to find and see.  Some
>are lifers, others not.  Some may be out of season, so thats that.
>
>Hudsonian god.

A possibility.   We'll make a search.

>Brant
>Oysterc
>Piping P

Wrong season for all, though there still might be a couple of
Oystercatchers on Cape Sable Island, but they usually leave by now.

>Buff-Bellied S

The big flight mostly passed through, but we might be lucky with a
lingering bird or two.

>Great corm (likely where we are now?)

A bit early, as most are still in Cape Breton, but if NW winds propel
a cormorant migration, we might see them.

>White-rumped S

Should be around.

>Seaside Sp

No, it is a vagrant in Nova Scotia

>Boreal Chick

We'll do a search if you still need this one.

>Gray Jay

Serendipity is required.    They are present, but so often elusive.

>Savannah Sp

Not a problem.  And we have a chance for the Ipswich race as well.

>Dick..Crossbills (tho you have told us these are unlikely)

As noted.

>Fox Sp

Small chance of a migrant.

>Blacked backed WP

Serendipity, as with Gray Jays.

>Sharp-tailed Sp

There might still be a few about.   We'll search.

>Migrating and resident birds of prey, particularily Rough- L hawk and Falcons

Falcons should be moving through, but it is too early for Rough-legged Hawks.

>Harl duck

Too early.

>Eiders (both)

Common Eider will not be a problem, but King is a vagrant.

>most northern seabirds, such as Kittimakes jagers, Storm P

The whale-watching trip is your best bet.

>Long-tailed duck (is it too early?)

Too early.

>all Scoters Razorbills

a bit early for scoters, and with luck you saw razorbills on the
whale-watching trip

>Orange-crowned W

possible.

>Places we would like your recommendations about:
>
>Cape Sable Island
>Port Joli area
>Hartlen Point min HRM
>
>In making suggestions and plans, please consider ease of access and
>potential for birding from or near auto)

It will probably be easier if we chat about this.   In the meantime, some

The dates you propose, Sept. 23-25, sound good to me.  We'll plan
around those, and talk early next week, once I return from Toronto.

Cheers,

Blake