[NatureNS] Keji Seaside Adjunct

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 00:21:56 +0000

I was to Keji Seaside Adjunct yesterday and walked out to the end of the
beach where it meets the St. Catherines River.  I did not go to the flats
behind.  The following birds were observed:

Savannah Sparrow 1
Red-breasted nuthatch 4
Black-capped chickadee 9
Palm Warbler 1
Common Yellowthroat 24
common Raven 1
Lincoln's Sparrow 1
White-throated Sparrow 1
Swamp Sparrow 5
Grey Catbird 1
Double-crested Cormorant 60
Common Eider 38
Song Sparrow 1
Purple Finch 4
Whimbrel 3
Yellow-rumped Warbler 5
Cedar Waxwiong 1
Greater Black-backed Gull 2
Spotted Sandpiper 3
Sanderling 42
Least Sandpiper 2
Herring Gull 4
Northern Gannet 1
Semi-palmated Plover 6
Semi-palmated Sandpiper 1
Osprey 1
Black & White Warbler 2
Northern Harrier 1
Red-eyed Vireo 1
Magnolia Warbler 1

Of special note.  Large numbers of birds were dropping in as I left.  There
were far more species and larger groupings then when we walked in on the
trip back out around 15:30.  On the down-side there were a lot of people on
the trail and every time I would work the birds to the point where they
would be just about out and the woods were alive with life, one of those
groups of people would come along and scare them back in.  The best bird
that I had, which I think was a blue-winged warbler was scared back in
before I could confirm the id.  I just had a great view of this bird when
two people who knew me came along.  They are not really birders, so did not
follow protocol of stopping and waiting for acknowledgement.  At that point
they asked loudly if I had seen any good birds and that was the end of the
potential great bird.  My view was not good enough to say that it was indeed
a blue-winged warbler.  I did not catch the line through the eye.  The wings
and body as well as color suggested such.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

See Fireworks On Live Image Search
http://search.live.com/images/results.aspx?q=Fireworks&mkt=en-ca&FORM=SERNEP