[NatureNS] Ravens find a lost woman

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 13:01:55 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_01AE_01C7F218.6ED75090

Here is an article on the bird angle of this miraculous story.  A =
76-year old woman had been lost in the eastern Oregon woods for almost =
two weeks.  A search party located her when the followed some Ravens =
making a lot of noise.  Here's the BBC story...

Saturday, 8 September 2007, 08:44 GMT 09:44 UK =20
=20
US woman survives canyon ordeal =20
=20
Mrs Anderson had to be carried out of the canyon by a rescue team=20

A 76-year-old woman who had been given up for dead after being lost in =
the Oregon mountains for two weeks has been found alive and well.=20

Doris Anderson was on an elk hunting trip with her husband Harold when =
their truck broke down on 24 August.=20

Though miles from civilisation, the pair tried to walk to safety, but =
became separated in the woods.=20

Mrs Anderson's family had even begun planning her memorial service when =
she was found by police, reports say.=20

Rescuers had searched the region just south of the Eagle Cap Wilderness =
Area before but two officers from Baker County Sheriff's department had =
returned in the hope of finding some trace.=20

I thought that she was more fragile than that and she's proved me wrong =
and I'm glad=20

Mrs Anderson's daughter Barbara=20

They were alerted to some activity by the sound of ravens in a deep =
canyon, and when they followed the noise they came across Mrs Anderson, =
who had suffered a hip injury, but was conscious and alert.=20

"They actually could hear her talking to herself at the time which drew =
their attention to her and happened to walk right up on her as she was =
laying beside a creek," Baker County Sheriff Mitch Southwick said.=20

She was dehydrated, but had sustained herself with water from the creek. =

Family joy=20

Mrs Anderson was dressed lightly, but managed to survive night-time =
temperatures of nearly 0C with just a touch of frostbite on her toes, =
which will not require surgery.=20

Doctors treating Mrs Anderson at St Elizabeth Health Services in Baker =
City say she is remarkably well considering her ordeal.=20
 =20
"They said that they've had people that have fallen between the bed and =
the wall that are younger that have had more severe injuries, I mean =
they've been in worse condition than what she is so they're really =
astounded, we all are" Mrs Anderson's daughter Barbara Moore told the =
Associated Press.=20

"My mom is much stronger than I ever knew that she was, I thought that =
she was more fragile than that and she's proved me wrong and I'm glad," =
she added.=20

Equally delighted is Mrs Anderson's husband Harold who had carried on =
looking for help when his wife had become exhausted and decided to try =
to return to their vehicle.=20

A disorientated Mr Anderson was later picked up by another hunting =
group, but they failed to find his wife.=20

"I thought my wife was dead," Mr Anderson said of the news that his wife =
was alive. "It's a living miracle, it has to be."=20

=20

------=_NextPart_000_01AE_01C7F218.6ED75090

<?fontfamily><?param Arial><?x-tad-smaller><HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Here is =
an&nbsp;article=20
on&nbsp;the bird angle of this miraculous story.&nbsp; A 76-year old =
woman had=20
been lost in the eastern Oregon woods for almost two weeks.&nbsp; A =
search party=20
located her when the followed some Ravens making a lot of noise.&nbsp; =
Here's=20
the BBC story...</FONT><BR><BR><A=20
href=3D"http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6984776.stm"><FONT=20
face=3D"Times New =
Roman">http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6984776.stm</FONT></A><BR></FO=
NT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Saturday, 8 September 2007, 08:44 GMT 09:44 =
UK&nbsp;=20
<BR>&nbsp;<BR>US woman survives canyon ordeal&nbsp; <BR>&nbsp;<BR>Mrs =
Anderson=20
had to be carried out of the canyon by a rescue team </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>A 76-year-old woman who had been given up for =
dead after=20
being lost in the Oregon mountains for two weeks has been found alive =
and well.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Doris Anderson was on an elk hunting trip with =
her husband=20
Harold when their truck broke down on 24 August. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Though miles from civilisation, the pair tried =
to walk to=20
safety, but became separated in the woods. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Mrs Anderson's family had even begun planning =
her memorial=20
service when she was found by police, reports say. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Rescuers had searched the region just south of =
the Eagle=20
Cap Wilderness Area before but two officers from Baker County Sheriff's=20
department had returned in the hope of finding some trace. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I thought that she was more fragile than that =
and she's=20
proved me wrong and I'm glad </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Mrs Anderson's daughter Barbara </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>They were alerted to some activity by the sound =
of ravens=20
in a deep canyon, and when they followed the noise they came across Mrs=20
Anderson, who had suffered a hip injury, but was conscious and alert.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>"They actually could hear her talking to herself =
at the=20
time which drew their attention to her and happened to walk right up on =
her as=20
she was laying beside a creek," Baker County Sheriff Mitch Southwick =
said.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>She was dehydrated, but had sustained herself =
with water=20
from the creek. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Family joy </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Mrs Anderson was dressed lightly, but managed to =
survive=20
night-time temperatures of nearly 0C with just a touch of frostbite on =
her toes,=20
which will not require surgery. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Doctors treating Mrs Anderson at St Elizabeth =
Health=20
Services in Baker City say she is remarkably well considering her =
ordeal.=20
<BR>&nbsp; <BR>"They said that they've had people that have fallen =
between the=20
bed and the wall that are younger that have had more severe injuries, I =
mean=20
they've been in worse condition than what she is so they're really =
astounded, we=20
all are" Mrs Anderson's daughter Barbara Moore told the Associated =
Press.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>"My mom is much stronger than I ever knew that =
she was, I=20
thought that she was more fragile than that and she's proved me wrong =
and I'm=20
glad," she added. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Equally delighted is Mrs Anderson's husband =
Harold who had=20
carried on looking for help when his wife had become exhausted and =
decided to=20
try to return to their vehicle. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>A disorientated Mr Anderson was later picked up =
by another=20
hunting group, but they failed to find his wife. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>"I thought my wife was dead," Mr Anderson said =
of the news=20
that his wife was alive. "It's a living miracle, it has to be." =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>&nbsp;<BR></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_01AE_01C7F218.6ED75090--