[NatureNS] Fauxburg Trail Today - migrants

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 01:32:42 +0000

There was a nice congregation of birds on the trail today, which is in back
of Mahone Bay.  It is actually the rail trail off of the road that goes
between Fauxburg and Mahone Bay.  This again is in the area of the proposed
cutting of a huge white pine stand for condominiums and where the large
group of warblers that Clarence Stevens had seen earlier on August 4 and we
always find good things on my Nova Scotia Bird Society outing.  I find great
stuff along this stretch most times during the year and am rarely
disappointed.

Anyhow, today there was:

Eastern Wood Pewee 1
American Robin 2
Red-eyed Vireo 7
Black-capped Chickadee 14
American Redstart 3
Swamp Sparrow 1
Gray Catbird 1
Cedar Waxwing 30
Yellow-rumped Warbler 8
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
Black-throated Green Warbler 8
Common Yellowthroat 6
Bed-breasted Nuthatch 9
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1
Black & White Warbler 2
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Parula 1
Blue Jay 2
There were also a few American goldfinches, a mourning dove and some crows.

There were probably larger numbers then I have recorded of each species.  At
times there was so much activity that it was hard to get accurate numbers.
I recorded numbers of species that I could see at a given time in regards to
trying to capture accurate numbers.

I did not have time to check out other areas.  It would have been
interesting to see what birds were along the Clearland Trail today.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Enter to win a night a VIP night out at TIFF
http://redcarpet.sympatico.msn.ca/