[NatureNS] Using blackberries in suet cakes

Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:18:33 -0300
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Anne,

I just put the pulp left over from jelly making on my compost pile,
where the birds can get it if they want.  I would be concerned about the
possibility of botulism, or other such problems, if you put it in suet
cakes, because it takes a fair length of time for the birds to consume a
suet cake.  (In a wet summer like this one, my suet sometimes gets
moldy).  Even though the pulp would be fairly sterile immediately after
cooking, I doubt the suet would keep it that way.  If you had a way to
separate the seeds out of the pulp, that might work, using only the
seeds.  All this is just a guess, though.  Hopefully someone with more
expertise will respond!

Lois Codling