[NatureNS] ants, flying/spiralling in NW Arm area of HRM

Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:35:12 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Will try the question again. What was your point of reference ?

    The hands of an alarm clock move clockwise when viewed from the
front. If the clock were transparent, except for the hands, and viewed
from the back then the hands would move in a counter clockwise
direction. Also the hands would appear to move in a counter clockwise
direction if viewed in a mirror.

    To take the example of a single ant rising as part of a swarm, lets
assume that the direction in which the ant flies gradually changes from
north, to west, then south, east and then back to north--- again and
again. If your point of reference is from above looking down then the
direction of rotation will be counter clockwise. But if your point of
reference is from below then rotation of the ant will be clockwise.

    For a more solid model, thread a nut onto a right-hand bolt (the
usual kind). When viewed fron the nut end, one must turn the nut
clockwise to turn it on. When viewed fron the head end, counter clockwise.
Yt, DW